this crusty bread is perfect for sandwiches or served alongside a homecooked meal!
- 2c bread flour (plus up to a 1/2c more as needed)
- 1tsp salt
- 200mL warm water (@ 110F – try to get as close to 110F as you can. if you don’t have a thermometer, shoot for warm, but not steaming/boiling water, else you’ll kill the yeast. i 100% recommend investing in a kitchen thermometer if you can)
- 1/2Tbsp sugar
- 1tsp (heaping) instant yeast
- 1 1/2-2Tbsp “everything but the bagel” seasoning – here’s a recipe if you can’t purchase the pre-mixed easily (in Canada, you can find the seasoning at winners/homesense).
- combine the flour, salt, and everything bagel seasoning in a large bowl. whisk well.
- combine the yeast and sugar in a medium bowl. add the water and stir gently. let sit for about fifteen minutes or until foamy.
- make a well in the dry ingredients and add the yeast mixture. stir to combine.
- knead the dough gently in the bowl until it comes together, is smooth, and springs back to your touch slightly – about 5-7 minutes.
- allow the dough to rest, covered, in a warm, draft-free spot for about one hour, or until doubled.
- preheat the oven to 450F.
- punch down the dough and shape as desired. place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover once more, allowing to rest for about twenty minutes.
- uncover the dough, sprinkle the top with a bit of flour, and score if desired. place in the oven and bake for twenty minutes.
- if desired, pour about 1/2c of hot water into a cast iron pan and place on the oven rack below the bread. this helps create steam and a crustier bread.
- after the twenty minutes are up, turn off the oven and crack it open a bit. let the bread sit in the oven for another five minutes.
- remove the loaf from the oven and allow to cool for about 15-30 minutes before serving. this bread is delicious on its own, or with a bit of vegan butter!