these delightfully fluffy and richly-spiced cinnamon rolls will warm up any cold winter day! great fresh or heated up the next day for a sweet breakfast.
- 5tsp instant yeast
- 1/3c granulated sugar
- 2c plant milk heated to 110F (try to get this close to exact!
- 1 stick (1/2c) vegan margarine, melted
- 4c flour + more if needed
for the filling:
- 1/4c vegan margarine
- brown sugar and cinnamon to taste (to coat margarine layer)
for the icing:
- about 1c powdered sugar
- 1/2tsp vanilla
- 1.5tsp plant milk (use as much or as little as you’d like to achieve your preferred consistency)
- combine the yeast, sugar, and heated milk in a bowl. stir gently. allow to bubble for around 10 minutes.
- in the meantime, combine the flour and the salt.
- once frothy, add the yeast the dry ingredients, as well as the melted margarine. be sure the margarine isn’t too hot (still shoot for 110F or somewhere around there if possible)
- stir well, adding flour as needed to create a uniform, smooth dough ball. this may take a few minutes of kneading.
- let the dough rest, covered, in a warm place for half an hour.
- preheat the oven to 375F.
- roll out the doubled-in-size dough into a rectangle of about a 1/4″ thickness. smooth the margarine along the rectangle, and top with brown sugar and cinnamon.
- roll the dough tightly, starting at the long end closest to you.
- cut 1-1 1/2″ rolls – i was able to get a dozen out of this recipe. place the rolls into a greased 9×13″ pan. i used a pyrex glass pan.
- bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until slightly browned and cooked through.
- mix the icing ingredients together well. drizzle over the top of the cinnamon buns once cooled slightly. serve warm.