these cookies absolutely take me back to what I remember from bakeries as a child – they’re the perfect mix of crunchy and chewy with warming notes of cinnamon.
makes ten large cookies
- 1c flour
- 1c quick oats
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1c sugar
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 3 tablespoons applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4c raisins (more or less to taste)
- 1/4c chopped walnuts (optional)
- preheat the oven to 350F.
- combine the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt in a large bowl. mix well.
- in a smaller bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar, molasses, applesauce, and vanilla extract. stir until it becomes homogeneous.
- combine the wet ingredients with the dry. mix well until no flour is visible. add in the raisins and walnuts, if using.
- pinch off ~2 tablespoons worth of dough and roll into a ball. place on a lined baking sheet and press down slightly. repeat until all the dough has been used up (note – feel free to make these cookies a bit smaller! mine turned out very large, about 3.5″ in diameter. just keep an eye on your cookies and bake them a bit less if adjusting their size).
- bake for 13-15 minutes, until the edges are golden brown and the center is still a bit soft. allow to cool on the baking sheet for at least ten minutes before serving.