this hearty baked oatmeal is great for meal prep! the combination of oats, pumpkin, applesauce and seeds makes for a filling breakfast or snack.
makes 8-12 servings
- 1 1/2c vanilla sweetened plant milk (you can use plain here as well, this is just my preference)
- 1/4c maple syrup, plus about 1 tablespoon for drizzling
- 1c pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon natural applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ~1 tablespoon vegan butter, for greasing (can sub with non-stick spray or hail mary it by lining the baking dish with parchment)
- 2c oats (i used instant – both instant and rolled work, but instant gives it a puffier, softer texture)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seed
- 1 tablespoon of sugar, for sprinkling (optional)
- mix-ins of choice – i used 1/4c pumpkin seeds (reserved some for sprinkling) and 2 tablespoons hemp seeds. walnuts would be beautiful here!
- preheat the oven to 375F
- combine all of the wet ingredients and dry ingredients separately, then mix together until all ingredients are well-blended and evenly distributed.
- pour mixture into a prepared baking dish – i used a standard 9×13 glass pan. please feel free to use a smaller pan, and just add baking time in five minute increments.
- sprinkle the top with cinnamon and any toppings of choice.
- bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top begins to crack. the cracking top is your best indicator for when it’s ready – this is especially important if you’re using a different pan size!
- while cooling, sprinkle with sugar, if using, and maple syrup. i know this sounds very over-sweet, but the mixture itself is quite savory! the sweetness comes predominantly from the topping.
- let cool for about 10-15 minutes before serving. enjoy with a glass of cold plant milk or coffee!
- to reheat leftovers, simply place in a pre-heated oven at 350F for 5-7 minutes.