these hearty individual pot pies warm up a cold, gloomy day!
- 1c ap flour
- 1/2T baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4c vegan margarine, melted
- 1/2c unsweetened plant milk
- any desired mix-ins: chives, dairy free cheese, soy bacon bits, etc. i used a touch of vegan cheddar
pot pie filling:
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1T olive oil or vegan butter
- 2T ap flour
- 1 vegan bouillion cube
- 1c water
- 1/4c unsweetened plant milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- veggies as desired: i used 1/4c frozen corn, 1/4c frozen peas, one small potato (finely chopped) and one medium carrot (finely chopped)
- begin by chopping your veggies. heat a medium-large pot over medium heat and add the vegan butter/olive oil
- add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook until translucent and fragrant. season with salt and pepper at this time.
- add the flour, stirring constantly for about two minutes to combine and cook off the flour
- add the bouillion cube, water, and unsweetened plant milk. whisk to combine and bring to a boil
- once boiling, add your veggies. return the mixture to a boil, cover, and reduce to a simmer. simmer for about 10 minutes
- in the meantime, begin making the biscuits. pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- combine the dry ingredients (including any desired mix-ins) and mix until well-incorporated.
- add the wet ingredients and stir to form a very loose, sticky dough. it should still stick to your hands a little. if you’re concerned it’s too wet, add flour a tablespoon at a time.
- check the pot pie mixture for seasoning – adjust as needed. if desired, stir in herbs at this time. i used 1/4t each of parsley and thyme. remove from heat.
- place the ramekins on a lined baking sheet. this will make transferring the ramekins to and from the oven a breeze, while catching any overflow that may occur while cooking.
- divide the pot pie filling between ramekins – i used four six-ounce ramekins.
- divide the biscuit batter between ramekins, being careful to stretch the dough enough so it rests on the edges of the ramekin rather than fully submerging itself in the liquid.
- bake for about twenty minutes, or until the tops of the biscuits are slightly browned.
- allow to cool somewhat before transferring to a plate – be careful!
to up the protein content, feel free to bulk up the pot pie mixture with vegan chicken, cooked white beans or chickpeas, or anything you’d like!
this can also be made in a casserole dish! double the recipe to make enough for a standard 9×13″ baking pan. the baking time will remain the same, so long as you divide the biscuit dough into eight biscuits.